Masterful ambient excursions that evoke the classic ambient masters. These complex and intricate compositions range from airy to intense, haunting, mysterious and droning to harmonious and ethereal. Taken in its entirety, the album might be interpreted as a journey from the beginning of time through the formation of life, or a similar evolutionary or developmental theme. Bruno Sanfilippo is an accomplished electronic artist and his many years of composing and performing yield another excellent ambient collection here.
For newcomers, I recommend starting with the current “Subliminal Pulse” and working back through his catalog.
1. The Third Geometry – (5:52) – Opens airy and soaring becoming infiltrated with heavier layering, droning and percussive elements, punctuated by tubular or heavy string like pulsations, drifting off into an airy void with some spooky vocalizations barely audible at the fade
2. Santa Luminosa – (6:40) – opens with a generator like pulsation takeoff into an airy, ascending, ethereal layered flight traversing past a variety of sound posts before climaxing into a dissonant sounding spiral out
3. Spirit Allies – (5:47) – opens with an electro- mechanical sounding pulsation becoming woven with increasing harmonious layerings of soprano and baritone synths and shadowy vocalizations
4. Intrinsic Fluctuations – (14:00) – opens soaring and hovering while added layers build a sense of conflicting themes, eventually descending into darker, brooding pulsating textures with metallic-like droppings and lathe cuttings, with a spooky spirit-like riff permeating the ending minutes
5. Subliminal Pulse – (5:58) – dark, spooky, and mysterious with dissonant keyboard-like riffs and chords and other-worldly vocalizations woven through various intricate layerings
6. Slipped Time – (7:29) – smooth, textured intro into an evocative, familiar piano-like riff and soaring textures, very reminiscent of past masters
7. Alchemical Powers – (6:29) – Opens dark and mysterious, suggestive of experimentation or origination and alchemy with boiling, bubbling underlayments, progressively more dark & dissonant and punctuated by bell and percussive soundings, degenerating into life sounds accompanied by thunder and ran backdrops, suggestive of primordial formations
8. Pulsum Sacrum – (7:21) – opens smoothly textured quickly augmented by male-like and then female-like vocalise layerings along with Tibetan bell-like soundings and explosive backdrops, use your imagination based on the title
9. Mantram – (7:58) – opens with smoothly textured layers joined with a soaring but morose cello-like layering, somewhat sad in emotion but harmonious in sound, a musical mantra as the title suggests.